Siemens honored with prestigious Postal Technology International award
- Siemens Label Learning software awarded Parcel Innovation of the Year
- Solution for efficient parcel label reading
- Software for the highest degree of automation in parcel hubs
Siemens Postal, Parcel & Airport Logistics (SPPAL) received the renowned Parcel Handling Innovation of the Year award on September 29. In the course of the Post- Expo 2015 in Paris, Michael Reichle, CEO of SPPAL, accepted the award on the company’s behalf.
With higher and higher volumes in global e-commerce, parcel service providers are increasingly presented with new and unknown parcel labels from different domestic and foreign companies. With Siemens Label Learning software, CEP service providers can quickly and easily make the labels known to their parcel reading system. As soon as the reading system is familiar with the labels to be processed and can read them automatically, fully automatic processing becomes possible.
The label learning process is carried out with individually scanned images and with labels that were not recognized by the reading system. These images are interactively processed with the Label Learning Software on a separate computer. The different fields on the labels, such as the positions of the recipient and sender addresses, logos, barcodes and other elements, can be easily assigned.
The software is accessed via a clearly structured user interface. Sample images can be loaded easily so that the different fields can be assigned accordingly. Finally, the generated data is available in a database, ready to be transferred to the parcel reading system via Siemens’ Open Reading Coding Architecture (ORCA) at any time.
Further details on customer benefits:
- Quick adaption to new label layouts
- Higher address recognition performance
- Customer can configure simple reading tasks
- Conflicting identifier bar codes –for example problem with reused packaging – can be clarified
- Efficient and reliable processing of international and third-party parcel labels